Aussie In Seoul

Well here is the deal. I am Australian and just moved to Seoul with my wife to work in a 5 star hotel. I hope to share some of my thoughts and comments over the Years I am here!

Monday, June 06, 2005

Since my arrival in summary!

I woke up Sunday morning to the sunlight drifting between the curtains. It was about 830am, and for a brief moment I thought I was feeling better. I sat up in that usual morning daze, and after an eternity did the morning ritual and 30 minutes later was standing in the middle of the room feeling as bad as I did yesterday, but new I had to get out of the room and look around.

I first gave the laundry team my welcome gift, three bags of clothes to be cleaned, pressed, or dry cleaned. I am sure they were loving me on a Sunday! I then unpacked a little, then hit the club lounge for a small breakfast, then started to walk around. The hotel is huge with numerous restaurants and 535 rooms on 34 floors. This is going to be two years of fun?! But really it was so exciting to walk around the hotel and see what was on offer. First impression was extremely positive.

Moving right along, I then ventured into the adjoining basement mall called COEX shopping mall. Huge area, with more shops than I could count, several food halls, a movie cinema, and a few other bits and pieces I am still exploring. Above the COEX mall is the COEX exhibition centre, and on the other end of the mall is the other InterContinental, called COEX.

As I do, I decided to watch a movie, and had to see Star Wars 3. Clariza is not so much a fan off Star Wars, so best to get it out of the way on my own. I was not disappointed and enjoyed finally having the Star Wars series finally all come together of 20 something years! About bloody time!

I then spent the evening trying to kick the fever and flu, had a dinner in the restaurant and tucked myself into bed bright and early.

After a restless sleep with the anticipation of my first day of work starting at 830am, I put on the new suit and headed down to the bosses office to meet him and the team.

Monday to Friday was spent meeting all the team, the managers, the staff, the secretary, trying to understand when and where all the meetings were, and trying to get answers to a thousand questions. But the most difficult thing I faced in my first week was the barrage of names, ranks, and responsibilities. This is going to be fun!

Friday night I got out of the hotel and looked around the local area. (First real time out of the hotel in 5 days)

Saturday I did a little work, and in the evening I went to an area rodeo Drive. Very upmarket area with high fashion, and bloody expensive.

Sunday, a little work through the day, and the evening I met up with an aussie who has lived here for three years in Ietewon. He showed me around all the places, where to go and not to go. "Keep away from the juicy bars" he mentioned! Peering into the doors of these places, I can understand why! He is a drummer in a band, as well as teaches, and holds a bit of fame in Seoul working with some famous Korean bands. We went up to the club he plays in, Woodstock, and we enjoyed a couple of hours listening to an open mike evening of music, singing, poetry, and comedy. Tony, my new aussie mate, also teamed up with a few guys and jammed for about 20 minutes, sending the crowd into a rock frenzy with some great classic rock! Man can he throw those sticks around!

We finished up the evening with some falafals, homous, Egyptian tea in a Egyptian restaurants called Pharohs, and I was in bed by 3.30am after a great evening in naughty Ietewon (hey I will work on the spelling I promise)

So now we are caught up, as it is Monday afternoon, Memorial Day, a public holiday. I have done a few hours work and ready for week two. The honeymoon period is over folks, and work is really about to begin!

Less than two weeks until Clariza arrives. Sure do miss her. Weird not being with my wife, but I am glad she is spending time with family and friends in PI, which she has not done all that often over the years.

Tonight is to be a quiet night! Thanks for listening!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home