Aussie In Seoul

Well here is the deal. I am Australian and just moved to Seoul with my wife to work in a 5 star hotel. I hope to share some of my thoughts and comments over the Years I am here!

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Shopping at Wal-Mart

Funny enough US giant Wal-Mart has several stores here in Seoul and even Costco is here. Reminds me of my days in Hawaii. So anyway we were shopping yesterday doing our grocery shopping and still buying odds and ends for our new apartment and I have to tell you the funniest thing.

In Wal-Mart and most large grocery shops here in Seoul, they have heaps of display people cooking small amounts of food for people to try, and then push them to buy the product they are displaying. Now in Wal-Mart on a Saturday afternoon there must be at least 50 displays in the store. Can you see where I am going with this....

Well Clariza went to go buy some extra stuff we had forgot, so I planted myself in one place and was just looking around the place. At first I did not think it was strange that these two older Korean ladies were munching away at some sample cake, but after they had gone past their 10th piece each I started to find this pretty funny. I watched these ladies for almost 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes they casually walked over to a lady giving samples of fruit juice, chugged down a few mouthfuls and then headed back to the cake table. Again they stuffed their mouths with a few more pieces, and then obviously decided it was time to move on. Of course they passed the drinks lady for a few more mouthfuls and moved on. As I do I watched them a bit more as Clariza had not returned and sure enough they parked themselves over at the SPAM table. By the time I had counted their 5th piece Clariza returned and we left. Now this all may sound dull to you, but really it was highly entertaining. I guess these ladies were really getting their money worth in Wal-Mart today!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home