Aussie In Seoul

Well here is the deal. I am Australian and just moved to Seoul with my wife to work in a 5 star hotel. I hope to share some of my thoughts and comments over the Years I am here!

Saturday, December 03, 2005

December is here

It has been far too long between posts, and I cant tell you how many times over the last few weeks that I have said to myself I need to update the blog! Maybe it is the cold, maybe it is work, maybe I just havent felt there was anything significant to mention! Heck, I dont know.

So let me see.. the last few weeks has seen the temperature significantly drop. I am wearing ski gloves to work every morning as this past week every morning is below zero. I seem to be the only guy wearing gloves, but I dont give a sh..t, at least I feel warmer. Last night I came home around 7.30pm from work an it was so damm cold. When I check the computer it said it was -4! Felt colder! Still waiting for snow in Seoul, but I hear there is a lot of snow in the mountains already.

Work is going great, This past week our Florist Team have been busy putting up all the Christmas decorations, and it is hard to believe but as this is my department also, I am involved in saying what looks good or not! Me and decorations??? Mmmm... is this a new creative side I have not seen before?? In any case the decorations are up around the hotel and they look fantastic. The front of the hotel in the evening looks awesome.

Sadly on Tuesday, one of my staff's mother passed away, and I attended the funeral with a dozen other staff. It was the first time I attended a Korean funeral, and it is very differant from anywhere else. Firstly his mother had passed away in the morning and from the afternoon they rent a room in the hospital where people can come and pay respect to the family. You also give some money to the family. When we arrived we entered a area which is set up as a shrine in respect to the person who has passed away, there is a small prayer, then personal condolence to the fmaily members, then you sit down on the floor in another room and eat and drink. We stayed for about 1 hour. This happens for 3 days, as the family mourns and greets family and friends who come to pay respect.

On Wednesday I ended up havinga very big night. I attend the 3rd Annual Meeting of the Le Clef's Dors Concierge Society of Korea at the Westin Chosun. It was an interesting event with several VIP's, including myself (Dont know why), and we sat and enjoyed speeches, an awards ceremony which included two of my staff receiving full induction into the Le Clef's Dor Society. I was given the honour of pinning their golden keys on their jackets. After the ceremony we had a lovely buffet dinner, then headed out with about 40 attendees including several from our hotel that forced me to go out, and we ended up at a large Kareoke bar where we all sang until almost midnight. Of course up at 630am the next morning I was not feeling that great!

Other than this, we are preparing for our trip to Philippines & Australia. Clariza leaves on Monday for Philippines, and I will leave on the Friday 16th. We will stay in Philippines until the 23rd, then have Christmas and New Year in Sydney with friends and family. We are both so excited, but maybe more excited because we will be going to warmenr places!

So thats all for now.. Will try to get some more updates on including photos. Thanks for watching...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home